Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Midsummer in Amsterdam

Last week I had the pleasure of celebrating Midsommar in Amsterdam with one of my favourite people!

It was as dreamy as I had planned. The weather, the food, the flowers and the company wherefore than I could ever ask for.

Midsommar is a Swedish celebration of the longest day in the year. Summer Solstice to many of us.

I celebrated a couple of years back and it was immediately my favourite holiday. It's beautiful with fresh flower crowns, lots of fish and strawberries.

On the morning we went to the grocery store to buy lots of yummy food, mainly fish, dill, yoghurt and strawberries. These are the main flavours of Midsommar.

The morning is one of my favourite times of the day, we make the traditional food and prepare ourselves for the rest of the day.

We made LaxtĂ„rta, a traditional salmon cake with a bread base, and we made skagenröra, well a take on the mayonnaise that goes on top of boiled eggs.

Everything was so so delicious I can't even tell you.

So fresh, so summery, so Swedish.

The pictures below do not do the food justice as we had so much colour and varieties of food!

After making all the food we of course got all glittered up. Primark is amazing for their makeup range, not only is it cruelty free, some of the glitter is now biodegradable which is fab. Especially for someone like me who wears glitter to bed!

I created a pink fairy look with lots of glitter and a face gem from Primark which lasted the entire day (and night!) I was super happy with the look I created.

The night before Midsommar, we picked flowers from the local park. Beautiful blue and pink windflowers which we made into flower crowns by wrapping them around wire. We also bought amazing roses and white wild flowers (excuse me for forgetting the name..) to wrap around the crowns also. They were amazing, rustic and everyone looked so beautiful in them! I was so happy with how they turned out.

After all the celebrations I was so tired the next day, we chilled on the balcony and enjoyed the lovely weather.

My final full day we went to the beach - we went to Zandvoort aan Zee. It was so chill it was lovely. Although I hate sand and, worse, wet sand, I still enjoyed it just chilling in the sun. (I 100% chilled in the shade as I burn like a crisp if not!)










What a holiday! I'm still feeling the blues. I hope you all celebrated the Summer Solstice in your own special ways and enjoyed it thoroughly!

Speak soon,
Love
George

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment