Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Darling by Rachel Edwards - a Review

Book Review

Darling - Rachel Edwards

2019


Darling is a narrative between the title character 'Darling' and Lola, her step-daughter.  It shows both their points of view as they develop their strained relationship.

I'm conflicted with this book. On the one hand I absolutely loved it. The ending was one of the bests twists I've read and was not expecting, despite some hints in the narrative. But, I did have to get through a few pages to start enjoying the book.

I found the theme of race and miscommunication very interesting. I didn't purposefully buy this book with these themes in mind, however, it was a great narrative (though fiction) to help further my understanding. Especially with the current BLM movement that is ongoing - I am continually wanting to educate myself.

Darling addressed possible frustrations in a new family environment. The coming together of two very different families, different backgrounds and beliefs. Struggles any step-daughter and mother may face.

This novel was twisty and turny - I didn't know who to trust or believe!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


I would recommend this book for the ending alone. It was an interesting insight into a potentially 'real' family in the UK and 'real' issues that may be faced.

The book also addresses health - both mental and physical. How people cope with an illness and how others want to care for those around them.

CLICK HERE for a link to buy Darling by Rachel Edwards.

Let me know what you thought of the book if you've read it!

Speak soon
George

No comments:

Post a Comment