Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2020

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert - a Review

Book Review

City of Girls - Elizabeth Gilbert

2019

**A Sunday Times and New York Times Bestseller**


City of Girls follows the life of twenty year old Vivian as she enters the world of 1940's New York.

I was 100% swept into her life - I loved everything that I read. I wanted to party with the showgirls and go behind the scenes in small, rundown playhouses.

 The book discussed aspects WWII and USA's involvement in the war. (I guess as a young girl in NYC it wouldn't have necessarily been on my mind either..) Though the war does play a big part in Vivians life as the book goes on.

City of Girls has an array of characters that you would only expect to find in a theatre/playhouse in 1940's NYC. Sexually free of judgement and drinking anything available. Dancing until sun up, living in a hazy dream.

We hear the story told through the words of an older (much older) Vivian, she's still every bit of a much loved character as she grows and reflects on her life. Though there are parts of the spoilt character in which I couldn't relate and didn't want to either!

The story takes us right through Vivians life. Every up and down. I couldn't leave the book alone!

The very last line of the book gave a lump in my throat as I turned the page - it was full of love.  I would recommend to each of you.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



Though her younger years were much more exciting to me to read, I really enjoyed City of Girls. I immersed myself into the setting and imaged what life may have been like for these girls. I couldn't wait to turn the page and see what happened next!

Though fun at times, there were realities and vulnerabilities that were shown in the book. Gilbert did not shy away from reality which, to me, made the book more believable and readable.

CLICK HERE for a link to buy City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert.

"City of Girls is about daring to break conventions and follow your desires."

Thanks for coming by and reading my review! I hope you are all well and staying safe.

Speak soon

Love George

No comments:

Post a Comment